Tuesday, August 18, 2009

On takoyaki and more! [Osaka, Japan]

 
When we got into Osaka, the first food info that Mazel told me was that Osaka's known for really good Takoyaki. oooh. I can't believe that I, a Takoyaki fan, was actually stepping on a Takoyaki haven!!! I was like a kid asking over and over if we could have Takoyaki before we leave for Nagoya. Thanks to ate mel, after meeting her and settling our bags and all, she brought us to Warai -one of the very few restos in town that's still open beyond 9pm, and is serving the best Takoyaki I've had thus far. And so what's so special about the Takoyaki in Japan? It has octopus, not squid!!!


Takoyaki, submerged in cheese!


We ordered Okonomiyaki too, "Japan's pizza" as they explained, but more of a pancake with stuffings for me. I loved it! must be the veggies and the condiments! I loved Waraiyaki as well -Warai's special okonomiyaki stuffed with noodles, and topped with sauce and mayo that made everything just right for my nama beer. hehe.


Okonomiyaki - I love those fish flakes on top


Waraiyaki


so tasty and appetizing condiments


But hey, what made my first night in Japan wasn't really the Takoyaki nor the Okonomiyaki... It's that small reunion with my sisters which I never had in years! Ironically, we had a reunion in Japan, something we never imagined during our college days!


kampai! [cheers!]


mazel, me, ate mel and andie @ warai

[read more]

 

3 comments:

Cie said...

I'm not a fan of jap food (esp. the raw ones) but the Takoyaki looks yummy. {ok, ok, there's always an exemption to the rule since I love jap chocs!!! hehe!)

Parang cake yung Waraiyaki, hehe =D

ledabrigino said...

@cie - yummy tlga yung takoyaki! and yeah masarap tlga jap chocs, not so sweet right? :)

haha yung waraiyaki kala ko rin nung biglang tingin e cake. parang may choco icing. hahaha!

Unknown said...

We were in Osaka last week and just wandered in and the waraiyaki looked interesting (I love cheese) and it was AMAZING! And to find out after the fact that this is a house specialty...WOOT! We really lucked out :-)